Shelby Township is located in the Metro Detroit area in Southeast Michigan. There are many businesses and industries in this community, ranging from manufacturing to retail outlets. One of the largest employers in Shelby Township is BorgWarner, which specializes in automotive parts production.
The Shelby Automotive Plant was opened by General Motors (GM) on July 15th, 1970 with an initial investment of $50 million dollars that created 400 new jobs for residents. This plant has been expanded several times since then and now employs over 2,000 people who work there every day.
General Motors Technical Center
GM Tech Center is a very large and important facility for General Motors. It consists of over 100 buildings encompassing more than 22 million square feet and employs more than 19,000 engineers and other employees on a daily basis. The GM Tech Center was built in 1956 and designed by Eero Saarinen who also designed the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri. This facility is also considered a historical landmark.
Tyson Foods Inc.
is located in Shelby Township and was founded in 1935. This company processes and distributes meat-based proteins, which include beef, pork, chicken, turkey, and lamb that are sold to retailers all over the world.
Tyson Foods Inc. employs approximately 2,000 people worldwide with over 1,300 of those workers residing in Michigan near the Metro Detroit area.
This is a family-owned business that has been in operation since 1960.
They specialize in the restoration and repair of classic, antique, exotic, and specialty vehicles. They offer many services like engine rebuilding, transmission service/repair, custom car fabrication, chassis repairs & customization, cosmetic & paintwork, upholstery installation.
Shelby Township has many other large businesses and industries that contribute to the growth and success of this community including:
- Honda Manufacturing of Alabama
- PPG Industries
- Bosch Rexroth (a major supplier for BorgWarner)
- Allison Transmission, Inc.
- Aisin Automotive
- TRW Automotive
- Harman Becker Automotive Systems
- Pyramid Tool & Supply Company
- Ceritano Ford Truck Sales and Service Center (Ford/Lincoln) is independently owned and operated and the only new and used Ford truck center in Macomb County.
- Michigan State University (MSU) and Oakland Community College (OCC) both have campuses located in Shelby Township and they offer degree programs, certificates, and job training courses to citizens of this community.
There are many businesses, industries, educational institutions, and job opportunities that make Shelby Township an ideal place to live, work and